Toddler Dies After Swallowing Battery From Fidget Spinner

By October 08, 2018

Toddler, Loevann was at a friends house with his family and playing with a few older children who were all playing with fidget spinners. A couple of days later, Loevann was in the hospital to remove the battery from his oesophagus, suffered complications and tragically passed away.

Before going to the hospital, Loevann started having respiratory problems and complained about his teeth. The doctors had found the battery (which lights up the toy)d in his oesophagus after the toddler had swallowed it and doctors were confident that the issue was solved.

Hours after the operation, Loevann had suffered the complications and passed away.

It was confirmed that the child's whole body had suffered necrosis. The death of most or all of the cells in an organ or tissue, Cells that die by necrosis may release harmful chemicals that damage other cells.

Lithium button batteries are extremely deadly to small children as they can be easily ingested. Some children may confuse these batteries for lollies. When ingested, button batteries cause burning of the oesophagus and intestines.

Product SafetyAustraliaa had put out an urgent recall in 2017 for LED fidget spinners, stating it is a hazard for children. If young children gain access to the button batteries and ingest them, they may suffer internal burn injuries, which can result in serious illness and even death. In addition, the batteries may pose a choking hazard to young children.

Please make sure that you remove any button batteries from toys around young children. The risks outweigh the purpose of having a working toy due to the button battery.

Reference:
Smith Lessa, "Two-year-old Boy Dies After Swallowing Battery From Popular Kids Toy", 2 October 2018, Kids Spot Austrlaia
Recall LED Fidget Spinner, 19 May 2017, Product Safety Australia